hearty three bean turkey chili
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large jalapeño, half the seeds removed, minced
- 2 pounds ground turkey, raw
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes, canned, not drained
- 1 can (15 oz) red kidney beans, drained + rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) pinto beans, drained + rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained + rinsed
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (optional)
- Add olive oil to a large skillet & heat over medium-high.
- Add onions & bell peppers. Sauté for 5-10 minutes or until they begin to soften.
- Add minced garlic & jalapeño, stirring to combine. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- In the same pan, move the sautéed vegetables aside to make room for the ground turkey. Season both the meat + vegetables with chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt, & pepper.
- Brown the turkey until no longer pink, breaking it up into smaller pieces & mixing with the vegetables as you go.
- Transfer entire vegetable & meat mixture to a dutch oven or large stock pot. Add tomato paste, stirring to evenly distribute.
- Add diced tomatoes, all three types of beans, & broth. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat & allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- To thicken: Remove about 1/2 cup of liquid, transferring it to a separate dish. Add cornstarch & whisk until completely dissolved before incorporating back into the rest of the chili.
- Continue to simmer for 15 more minutes or until thickened to desired consistency. Remove from heat & let cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!